Monday, July 7, 2014

They both enjoy helping out and it makes them feel proud of themselves for accomplishing something.


I am big on teaching responsibility at a young age. Each of my children have chores to do , depending on their individual abilities. Today I’m going to be giving some examples of chores that younger children can do.
If you’ve been following along for a while, you know that I have six kids, ages 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 12. My younger oxyelite pro two are so close in age that most of their chores are pretty similar. Some can be done independently, others include working alongside an older sibling or parent. This list certainly isn’t all inclusive, but gives a general idea of the various responsibilities and tasks that my younger two are capable of and expected to do.
1. Sorting clean laundry.
All of my children, regardless of age, are required to do the five tasks listed oxyelite pro above under Personal Responsibilities. Those are simple tasks that involve cleaning up behind oxyelite pro themselves on a daily basis. Now, of course, I don’t expect or ask that my younger two do every single item on the Additional Chores list above, but they are perfectly capable of completing any of those tasks unassisted.
They both enjoy helping out and it makes them feel proud of themselves for accomplishing something. I firmly believe that teaching responsibility at a young age is beneficial for them as they grow older. Waiting until a child is a teenager to begin asking them to help with household chores is impractical, in my opinion.
I have several friends that avoided giving their younger children chores, and instead ran themselves ragged trying to do everything for everyone in the house. Now that they feel their children are “old enough” to have chores, they are battling with defiant teenagers that refuse to be responsible and help out.
Starting children out with simple chores at a young age helps to avoid that problem later on down the road. If you need a little bit of help getting started, there are some great customizable chore charts available for purchase on Amazon (affiliate).
I know that this can be a bit of a heated topic for some parents, and in the end we all do what we feel is best for our own family. I just wanted oxyelite pro to share what works in our home, as I am often asked by other parents what they can do to get their kids to help out around the house. I personally believe that teaching oxyelite pro my children about having responsibilities now will benefit them in the future, oxyelite pro especially as they become adults and are on living on their own. I’d love to know what chores and responsibilities (if any) you have in place for your younger oxyelite pro ones. Sound off below, but please keep it friendly!
Kecia Hambrick is a southern girl, born and raised in Georgia. She's also a WAHM to 2 boys (3 year old & a newborn), wife to an awesome husband named James , blogger, freelance writer, and self-proclaimed social media enthusiast. Southern Girl Ramblings is her little spot on the web where she rambles about parenting, life in general, and the best products on the market!
I agree! My boys have been doing chores since they were toddlers. I started them by having oxyelite pro them match socks in the laundry and we have since moved on to bigger and better things because they are older now!
I totally agree with giving kids age appropriate chores. They need to learn daily living skills and it helps the parents out as well. My kids age 12 and 14 and they’re both old enough to start doing their own laundry. Then they can stop asking me for underwear.
Great list to get the kids active in helping out with the household chores. In addition to being proud for accomplishing a task, it also teaches discipline oxyelite pro and organizational skills at an early age. Thanks for sharing!
These are all great chores for young children! I’m going to try some of these for my daughter. I think I might have been giving her things that were too difficult. I mean, she scrubs the floor on her hands and knees with a sponge and brush… but she is the one that asks to do that! And by the way – I was really shocked when I first started reading this post. I didn’t notice that you had a guest blogger (Tiffany) posting, and when I read that “each of my children have chores oxyelite pro to do,” I thought that you (Kecia) had started putting Dawson to work! lol I was impressed – and still am at how Tiffany oxyelite pro involves all of her children in the process.
There are so many things a child can do from the day they can walk to assist in chores around oxyelite pro the home. I think it just takes the parent time to step back and allow the child to “find their own way” around things. It’s difficult for some parents to be okay with their child not doing the chore exactly oxyelite pro how the adult wants it done.
Karen says
Jaime says
We’ve been battling with what tasks our 2.5-year-old can handle, and what’s just too much for him at this point. I don’t want him to grow up to be a lazy teena

No comments:

Post a Comment